Urban Laboratory is a professional association founded on 2013. Its work is focused to achieve the objectives in the field of urban design, urban renewal, urban planning and architecture. The Association is founded by Belgrade’s University professors and teachers working in the field of urban renewal, urban design and architecture. The Association strives to link people from the academic and practical spheres that deal with the aforementioned disciplines, with the overall aim to improve processes and activities, in accordance with the current strategic and economic situation. The aim is to contribute to the public debate in various formats such as lectures, conferences, roundtables and summer schools with the strong engagement of academic community, and to provide both policy-oriented and academic research focusing on urban life.
Association Urban Laboratory is engaged in these fields through networking with other institutions and experts from the main or close areas in the country and abroad, by publishing policy and scientific papers and by organizing academic and professional lectures, conferences, roundtables and summer schools.
The main objectives are:
- Improving the scientific and practical activities in the field of urban design, urban renewal, urban planning and architecture through academic and policy research and educational activities
- Increasing civic participation in decision-making through organizing activities in the field of urban design, urban renewal, urban planning and architecture which include wider audiences in policy discussions
- Publicly advocating for change and improvement habits in terms of living in urban areas and preserving natural and cultural resources
- Advisory consultant's character in the adoption of new legal procedures
Thematic frame of interest has been dictated by the challenges that cities and settlements face today: aging population, economic restructuring and rising unemployment, crime, safety and security, migration and immigration, social cohesion and equality, sustainable development and economic growth as compared to the local, and in relation to a global perspective, environmental management - pollution, waste and water management, energy efficiency, providing affordable and quality housing and housing, connection - an efficient public transport system, the development of competition among cities, region, state - branding and marketing of the need for a better dialogue between the various stakeholders (citizens, governments, investors, etc.).
Urban Laboratory organized, so far, in collaboration with the University of Belgrade’s Faculty of Architecture and Faculty of Philosophy the first international academic conference Places and Technologies held on April 3 and 4 in 2014. In Belgrade, over 300 members of the European academic community took part in discussion and paper presentations (www.placesandtechnologies.eu). This type of conference is planned every two years in Belgrade, with a tendency to spread to the regional level.
- Lectures, conferences, roundtables and summer schools aimed to link academics and practitioners and involve civic participation in discussions
- Small urban initiatives in cities
- Consulting and advisory services offered for developing legal frameworks in construction and planning
- Publishing of scientific e - journal